Doggy Heaven at the Shell Factory and Nature Park's entertainment complex is the home of Aqua Dog Sports, SunCoast DockDogs, SW Florida Wiener Dog Club and Healing Paws-Abilities Agility. All of these organizations will be celebrating with the Golden Retriever Rescue of SWFL from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m, Saturday, Oct. 20 GRRSWF is an all volunteer 501c3 non-profit rescue organization aiding in rescuing, fostering and adopting homeless or displaced golden retrievers in Southwest Florida. One hundred percent of donations go to the care.
About 2,000 people and hundreds of dogs are expected to converge upon the grounds of Doggy Heaven for this annual event. Previously held in Sarasota (the organization runs from Sarasota to Naples), organizers moved it this year to the Shell Factory and Nature Park grounds to give it a more centralized location.
Several local animal-welfare partners will be offering adoptable pets. Gulf Coast Humane Society, Grey Muzzle, Lab Rescue of Florida and Pitbull Crew of Florida will be joining the Retrievers in finding home for loving animals.
Schedule of events:
- Santa Photos (all day) 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Pet Brushing/Furminating (all day) 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Pet Nutrition Demo 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Raffle Drawings 2:30 p.m.
- Fly Ball Demonstrations (all day) 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Aqua Dog Sports and Suncoast Dock Dog
- "Your Dog Can Do This" - Demonstrations for the dogs of guests to try the pool and dock jumping.
- Big Air Demonstration-12:45 p.m.
- Speed ad Retrieve Demonstration 1 p.m.
- Extreme Vertical Demonstration 1:15 p.m.
Don't forget: Sunday, Oct. 21 (and every Sunday) Doggie Church, a half hour non-denominational service, is held at 12:30 p.m.
For over 75 years, the Shell Factory has delighted residents and visitors alike with over 5 million shells and over 18 acres of shopping, displays and entertainment. Located off of U.S. 41 in North Fort Myers, The Shell Factory is open year round and admission is free.